Wednesday, June 13, 2012
Tablet Publishing - A Primer and How-to Guide
Four Points Sheraton Hotel and Conference Center
1125 Boston Providence Turnpike
When:9:00 am - 3:00 pm
Note: Registration starts at 7:30am
Workshop Organizer: Adobe
This class is filled, if you would like to be wait listed, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Use Adobe tools to create content for your favorite tablet: iPad, Xoom, Samsung, Kindle Fire—you name it
The day will be split between document (app) publishing and web publishing.
This is a hands on class and registration is limited to 10 attendees.
Attendees must bring their own laptop with prerequisites.
7:30am – 9:00am Registration and Coffee
Instructor: Tim Plumer, Jr., Solutions Consultant, NA Education Sales, Adobe Systems Incorporated
9:00am – 12:00pm Creating an iPad app with Adobe InDesign
In conjunction with Adobe InDesign, the Adobe Digital Publishing Suite (DPS) is a toolset that you can use to create engaging, interactive tablet publications for your iPad or Android device. To learn more about DPS, please look at the following web site on Adobe.com: http://www.adobe.com/products/digital-publishing-suite-family.html
During this 3 hour session, we will be creating an InDesign document that will become an iPad application. This hands-on session will cover the techniques you need to use to create a document that includes interactivity such as slide shows, movies, and streaming web content. To see some sample applications, look at the Digital Publishing Suite Gallery: http://blogs.adobe.com/digitalpublishinggallery/
We will use the following outline:
1. An overview walk-through of the process
- Set up your account
- Create your document
- Add interactive elements
- Create your Folio
- Build the application
- Submit to Apple/Google
2. Creating a document layout for a tablet device
- Building your overall publication
- Creating horizontal and vertical layouts
3. Using structured content in your files for flexibility
4. Adding interactive elements to your publication
- Slide shows
- Interactive buttons
- Streaming web content
5. Building a folio
- Creating articles
- Managing the application in the folio
6. Submitting your application to Apple
In order for you to get the most from this hands-on session, you will need the following in place:
• An Adobe ID. If you don't have one, it is free to create and necessary to participate: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/membership/index.cfm?loc=en%5Fus&nf=1&tab=communications&view=snMemCommPrefs&nl=1
• Adobe InDesign CS5, 5.5, or 6 (Note: I will be presenting with CS6, but you will be able to follow along. However, if you prefer, you may download a free 30-day trial of CS6 from the InDesign product page: http://www.adobe.com/products/indesign.html)
• Obtain the DPS plug-ins for InDesign and install them from the DPS portal: https://digitalpublishing.acrobat.com/app.html#x=dashboard (they are found in the lower, left under the heading "Updates")
• Watch the training material on the portal site found under the heading "How it's done"
• I will post a set of final assets that you will need. That link will be forthcoming.
12:00pm – 1:00pm Lunch
1:00pm – 3:00pm Creating a Mobile-ready Web Site
Creating a web site for a mobile device—whether a tablet or a smartphone—is a way to get any kind of information out to an audience in an unprecedented way. To see an example of these kind of communications, look at this sample resources site: http://www.plumer.me/resources/
During this 2-hour session, we will use Adobe Dreamweaver to create a local site that will mirror the resource site.
1. Creating a site
- Setting up a "local" site structure on your system
- Establishing a web presence of your own
2. Adding the first page to your site
- Creating a page from a sample
- Examine the code that represents this page
3. Adding content to the page
4. Adding additional interactivity
- Collapsible blocks
5. Uploading your site to a web server
• Adobe Dreamweaver CS5.5 or CS6 (Note: I will be presenting with CS6, but you will be able to follow along. However, if you prefer, you may download a free 30-day trial of CS6 from the product page: https://www.adobe.com/products/dreamweaver.html)
• Though not necessary, it would be best if you had access to a web server. For example, I have registered http://www.plumer.me. If you do register your domain and set up a web server, then bring the ftp server address, your username, and password.
NERCOMP MEMBERS LOGIN TO REGISTER AND RECEIVE MEMBER PRICING OF $130
Registration Cancellation Policy
By clicking on the "Order Now" button, you are indicating a commitment to attend and will be held responsible for the registration fee. Your fee can be refunded if you notify us of a cancellation at least 8 days prior to the event via email to email@example.com.
NERCOMP reserves the right to use any photographs or other mechanical recordings taken at NERCOMP events in promotional materials. No mechanical recordings of any kind may be used at NERCOMP events without the prior written consent of NERCOMP organizers and presenters. The views and opinions expressed at NERCOMP events do not necessarily reflect those of NERCOMP, nor does NERCOMP make any representation regarding the information presented at NERCOMP events.