Computer & Network Support Technician
The Computer & Network Support Technician is responsible for following established protocols; install and maintain computer hardware, telecommunications, audio visual equipment and all College-supported network applications. Install software, provide end-user technical support and training, and perform quality assurance tasks to ensure user workstations and network performance meet College and staff, faculty and student user requirements. Troubleshoot computer and network problems; determine the source of the problem, advise on appropriate action, and test and implement solution.
Job Duties, Responsibilities, and Tasks:
• Establish email and computer accounts for students, faculty and staff. This includes managing security, file permissions, file system integrity, and adding and deleting users.
• Administer user workstations and support user activities. Reset passwords for email, computers and Blackboard applications. Provide first-level contact to investigate problems; determine possible solutions; test and implement solutions. Quickly respond to all user questions received via email, telephone or in person providing accurate, secure and reliable information. Escalate unresolved issues to the next level of support.
• Install, configure, maintain and repair college computers, file servers, network cabling, and other related equipment, devices, and systems. Add or upgrade and configure disk drives, printers, external hard drives and related equipment.
• Perform software and application installation and upgrades.
• Troubleshoot networks, systems and any college applications to identify and correct malfunctions and other operational difficulties.
• Develop and conduct various training and instruction for system users on operating systems and other applications; assist users in maximizing use of networks and computing systems. Tutor individual users. Help users log into and navigate within computer systems and College applications and on-line resources.
• Maintain confidentiality with regard to the information being processed, stored or accessed by the users on the network.
• Serve as the central point-of-contact for students, faculty, and staff in reporting and resolving computer and telecommunications issues.
• On call evenings and weekends during the academic year. This involves carrying a phone and responding to emergency calls made until 9:00 p.m. weekdays and weekends. The responsibility is rotated between the Computer & Network Support Technicians.
• Maintain effective working relationships with external service providers/ vendors and other providers to support user activities. Maintain up-to-date product and technical knowledge to ensure utilization of the latest computer and network technologies.