The desktop engineer participates in the design, installation, maintenance, and upgrade of systems used to configure UMS’s existing and newly acquired computing devices. They will also be involved in the creation, testing and deployment of software application installation packages for use in remote office, lab and classroom environments by local IT support staff as well as end users.
See full Job posting at
– Create and maintain systems and packages for the deployment of software applications and operating system configuration changes for existing end user computing devices.
– Expand and enhance image creation procedures and tools for new and existing devices in classrooms, labs and office environments.
– Act as a resource for solving previously undocumented operating system or application problems related to the proper configuration and use of end user devices, either in person or remotely. The goal should be to create procedures to allow other tech staff to quickly identify the issue and provide resolution on first contact.
– Collect specifications, analyze business needs and work to provide methods to allow local IT staff to efficiently customize images and packages as needed at their local level.
– Enhance diagnostic tools and reference materials, as well as deliver technical instruction to other specialists and other teams within the organization, including process documentation for proper use of systems.