High Performance Computing Storage Administrator (Operating Systems Programmer/Analyst 2)
Under the general supervision of the Team Lead for Research Technology, this position is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the university’s large-scale research storage platform on the Storrs campus.
Incumbents in this position are considered technical specialists and are expected to have expertise with large-scale integrated computing systems. Individuals are expected to apply a wide range of problem solving and resource management techniques to their work, which is of moderate to complex difficulty. Incumbents are expected to carry out projects of moderate to large size and complexity with minimal supervision.
The HPC cluster at UITS serves as the catalyst for research in computationally intensive disciplines, in alignment with the university’s ambitious initiatives – UConn Technology Park, Next Generation Connecticut, and Bioscience Connecticut. The cluster has over 6,000 CPU cores, a one-petabyte parallel file system (GPFS), and an Infiniband interconnect.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Install, configure, and maintain storage systems for use in a research-computing environment.
• Install, configure, and maintain parallel file systems (DDN/GPFS), as well as interaction with tiered-performance NFS.
• Monitor usage of storage resources and make recommendations to maintain service standards.
• Interact with integrated systems in an HPC environment – including job schedulers, Infiniband fabrics, etc.
• Interact with configuration, monitoring, and notification tools.
• Hardware maintenance and troubleshooting
• Interact with university researchers on various topics, including the use of existing services, service policies, and research requirements.
• Provide excellent technical support and training to a diverse user base.
• Create and maintain clear and effective technical documentation.
• Interact with vendors, assessing products and making purchasing recommendations.
• May supervise students or employees.
• Performs related duties as required.