High Performance Computing Systems Administrator (Operating Systems Programmer/Analyst 2 or 3)
Under the general supervision of the Team Lead for Research Technology, these positions are responsible for the day to day operations of the university’s large-scale research computing platform on the Storrs campus.
Incumbents in this position are considered either technical specialists or technical experts based on their level and are expected to have expertise with large-scale integrated computing systems. Individuals are expected to apply a wide range of problem solving and resource management techniques to their work which is of moderate to complex difficulty. Incumbents are expected to carry out projects of moderate to large size and complexity with minimal supervision.
The HPC cluster at UITS serves as the catalyst for research in computationally intensive disciplines, in alignment with the university’s ambitious initiatives – UConn Technology Park, Next Generation Connecticut, and Bioscience Connecticut. The cluster has over 6,000 CPU cores, a one petabyte parallel file system (GPFS), and an Infiniband interconnect.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Install, configure, and maintain Linux operating systems (RHEL v6/v7).
• Perform operating system upgrades, patching, troubleshooting, performance tuning.
• Manage the lifecycle of Linux-based scientific applications, including compiling from source and troubleshooting.
• Manage the HPC scheduling software layer (SLURM) and related tools.
• Installation and management of configuration, monitoring, and notification tools.
• Administration of an Infiniband fabric and basic Ethernet network administration.
• Hardware maintenance and troubleshooting
• Interact with university researchers on various topics, including the use of existing services, service policies, and research requirements.
• Provide excellent technical support and training to a diverse user base.
• Create and maintain clear and effective technical documentation.
• Interact with vendors, assessing products and making purchasing recommendations.
• May supervise students or employees.
• Performs related duties as required.
This is a full-time, permanent position. The University offers a competitive salary, outstanding benefits, including employee and dependent tuition waivers at UConn, and a highly desirable work environment. Salary and level will be commensurate with the successful candidate’s background and experience. For additional information regarding benefits visit: http://hr.uconn.edu/benefits-summaries/. For additional information about the University visit: http://www.uconn.edu/ and for detailed position information and the job description visit: http://uitsjobs.uconn.edu.
Please apply online at www.jobs.uconn.edu, Staff Positions. Interested candidates should submit a letter of application and resume that demonstrate how you meet the minimum qualifications and any preferred qualifications you may have for this position, and a list of contact information, including phone numbers for three professional references. Reference search # 2018042. Screening will begin immediately.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on September 24, 2017.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.