The Software Engineering team constructs custom web-based software systems for use by organizational stakeholders, as well as web APIs and CLI applications that integrate backend and third-party systems. Software Engineering is a part of the roughly 25-person IT department, known as IAS Computing. IAS Computing is a diverse and supportive team, providing a wealth of strategic and technical opportunities to its members, as well as offering a breadth of professional development and training options.
Reporting to the IT Manager, Software Engineering, the Software Engineer will contribute to these efforts through building, maintaining and monitoring custom web and CLI-based software and public websites. The ideal candidate will have proven experience with web programming, interacting with databases, and application-level security. They will be able to translate user requirements into production quality, stable and documented code.
Build, maintain and monitor custom web and CLI software applications.
Build, maintain and monitor public websites.
- Proficiency in an object-oriented programming language
- Proficiency working with relational database systems
- Proficiency working in a Linux terminal
- Skillful at debugging runtime issues on production systems
- Demonstrates an ability to learn new technologies
- Interested in and adept at building software systems and tools
- Comfortable selecting tools and technologies
- Communicates well, verbally and in writing
- BA or BS Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or a related field
- 3+ years related work experience
- Contributes to open-source software projects
- Enjoys learning and teaching
- Demonstrates experience with one or more backend web development frameworks, such as Spring, Django, Laravel, Symfony, Ruby on Rails, or Node.js
The Institute for Advanced Study (https://www.ias.edu) is one of the world's foremost centers for theoretical research and intellectual inquiry. Located in Princeton, N.J., the IAS is dedicated to independent study across the sciences and humanities. Founded in 1930 with the motto "Truth and Beauty," the Institute is devoted to advancing the frontiers of knowledge without concern for immediate application. From founding IAS Professor Albert Einstein to the foremost thinkers of today, the IAS enables bold, nonconformist, field-leading research that provides long-term utility and new technologies, leading to innovation and enrichment of society in unexpected ways.