The Systems Administrator for William James College is responsible for modernizing the system and network infrastructure of a higher education institution. This person will be hands-on and customer-oriented in order to plan, organize and execute a stable operation of the College’s IT systems infrastructure and end user services; this entails developing, maintaining, supporting and optimizing server and network infrastructure, systems administration and uptime availability and disaster recovery. He/she will also assist with the IT roadmap, budget development and overall IT infrastructure services.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
• Design and implement short and long-term strategic plans to ensure systems infrastructure capacity meets existing and future requirements.
• Oversee daily systems infrastructure, MS enterprise applications and end-user activities with a focus on providing highly available and effective business services.
• Assist IT leadership with the creation, prioritization, and execution of overall IT strategy.
• Provide hands-on project management and, as appropriate, participate in project deliverables.
• Manage a technical team of 3rd party vendors and IT consultants to help with project execution and systems implementation/maintenance.
• Collaborate on the creation, implementation and compliance of policies and procedures appropriate to the College’s environment.
• Work with the Helpdesk Manager to manage short and long-term resolution and escalation of technical problems; effectively troubleshoot complex technical problems.
• Work with Helpdesk Manager to manage vendors/contracts, including contract negotiation, of outsourced and general IT-related services.
• Participate as part of the DR emergency response team.
• Occasional travel for professional development initiatives and servicing off-campus office sites in various Boston and suburban locations.
• Be part of the core team responsible for the implementation of a new ERP system for the College.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor's degree in an IT discipline, computer science or similar preferred;
• 5+ years of hands-on experience in complex IT environments managing infrastructure and staff;
• Professional certifications, such as MCP and MCSA, are preferred;
• Strong analytical troubleshooting skills coupled with a strong sense of urgency;
• Some experience in contract and vendor management;
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to present IT concepts clearly and concisely to both management and end users;
• Successful management of local and off-site technical team members;
Strong working knowledge of networking concepts (routing, switching, WAN, Firewall, etc.), experience with Fortinet/Ruckus preferred;
Ability to lift 25 pounds of heavy computer or network equipment and tools;
A valid Driver’s License and reliable transportation for travel;
Ability to work some evening, weekend and/or holiday hours for systems patching/upgrades/installations;
Ability to sit and look at computer monitors for extensive periods of time.
• Extensive experience with Windows Server 2008 - 2016 Active Directory in a hybrid on-prem/Azure environment;
• Experience managing IAM/SSO solutions and technology (OneLogin, Okta, SAML, LDAP);
• Experience managing a hybrid of on/off-prem virtualized environment (VMware/Azure VM);
• Ability to implement and manage business continuity/disaster recovery/enterprise backup (Zerto, Barracuda, etc.);
• Experience managing PC and Mac hybrid environments;
• Working knowledge of enterprise storage management and replication, HPE Nimble experience preferred;
• Management of an enterprise Office 365 environment;
• Extensive experience implementing and maintaining enterprise patch management (SCCM);
• Experience with endpoint management and security, including next-gen antivirus;
• Strong working knowledge of networking concepts (routing, switching, WAN, Firewall, etc.), experience with Fortinet/Ruckus preferred.
Bachelor's degree in an IT discipline, computer science or similar preferred;
From our new campus in Greater Boston, William James College educates students for careers that meet the growing demand for access to quality, culturally competent psychological services for individuals, families, communities & organizations both locally & around the globe. We offer graduate programs attentive to the needs of vulnerable populations including children of adversity and the needs of specific populations such as Latinos and veterans, as well as organizations and leaders on the forefront of creating social change.
William James College is committed to building a diverse faculty and staff dedicated to teaching, working and bringing psychological knowledge to the multi-cultural world community. We strongly encourage applications from persons with diverse backgrounds and experiences.