The Systems Administrator for William James College is responsible for modernizing the system and network infrastructure of a higher education institution. This person will be hands-on and customer-oriented in order to plan, organize and execute a stable operation of the College’s IT systems infrastructure and end user services; this entails developing, maintaining, supporting and optimizing server and network infrastructure, systems administration and uptime availability and disaster recovery. He/she will also assist with the IT roadmap, budget development and overall IT infrastructure services.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
• Design and implement short and long-term strategic plans to ensure systems infrastructure capacity meets existing and future requirements.
• Oversee daily systems infrastructure, MS enterprise applications and end-user activities with a focus on providing highly available and effective business services. The infrastructure includes:
o 40 VMWare VMs hosting a combination of SQL, Web, File Servers, and multiple business, academic, and research applications.
o About 1,000 networked devices in a BYOD environment
o Single AD environment with approximate 1,500 user accounts
• Assist IT leadership with the creation, prioritization, and execution of overall IT strategy.
• Provide hands-on project management and, as appropriate, participate in project deliverables.
• Manage a technical team of 3rd party vendors and IT consultants to help with project execution and systems implementation/maintenance.
• Collaborate on the creation, implementation and compliance of policies and procedures appropriate to the College’s environment.
• Work with the Helpdesk Manager to manage short and long-term resolution and escalation of technical problems; effectively troubleshoot complex technical problems.
• Work with Helpdesk Manager to manage vendors/contracts, including contract negotiation, of outsourced and general IT-related services.
• Participate as part of the DR emergency response team.
• Occasional travel for professional development initiatives and servicing off-campus office sites in various Boston and suburban locations.
• Be part of the core team responsible for the implementation of a new ERP system for the College.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Experience in higher education/a small college setting is a plus.