About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth’s flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Systems Engineer will implement, monitor, and continually improve procedures and resource allocations to ensure professional, high quality technology support and services to the UMass Amherst Campus including its executives, faculty, staff, and administrators. Provide mentoring, coaching and training to IT system administrators. Provide support and monitor enterprise class Linux systems; provide system administration as well as integration with other campus services.
• Monitor, coach and train junior IT administrative staff on developing, designing, deploying and supporting enterprise class Linux configuration management and system deployment.
• Work on multiple projects as a project leader to research, propose and implement strategies in the migration and consolidation of complex distributed systems to a more centralized enterprise model. This may entail converting physical servers to virtual servers, facilitating the reconfiguration of networks and firewalls, and building and configuring centralized logging and monitoring solutions.
• Analyze, monitor and keep systems current with changing technologies for the campus community.
• Analyze and configure Linux servers in a heterogeneous environment in order to install, upgrade, monitor, maintain, troubleshoot, patch, compile, secure, and repair the system. Using the tools implemented, provide enterprise class Linux hosts in both physical and virtual environments. Install new software, trouble shoot, grant permissions to users, groups, applications and train users.
• Monitor system performance and tune/adjust system resources to maintain efficient and equitable use of managed resources by the campus community. Perform system upgrades, make recommendations on server configurations, and implement changes in multiple environments from test or development to production which may include creating scripts using various languages and automate various tasks in multiple environments.
• Respond to alerts and customer reported issues. Escalate or resolve problems as needed exercising independent judgement and within established support practices.
• Develop tools for automation of tasks and integration of other central IT services.
• Participate in the planning of both short and long term goals and directions for UMass IT.
• Performs related duties as assigned or required to meet Department, Executive Area/Division, and University goals and objectives.
• Provide consulting to IT and other campus staff on matters related to system provisioning and centralized maintenance and monitoring.
• Perform miscellaneous related duties as required.
• Bachelor’s degree in IT related field with at least 4 years experience providing Linux system administration in a large complex environment or Associate degree with 6 years of full-time work experience providing Linux system administration in a large complex environment.
• Knowledge and experience with system scripting using technologies such as Powershell, Perl, Bash.
• Knowledge and experience working with virtualization environments and tools such as VMWare and Vagrant.
• Excellent analytical and organizational skills to plan, recommend, implement and monitor effective and efficient processes and to identify problems and implement solutions.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
• Experience using cross-platform system administration, including UNIX/Linux and Windows.
• Experience working in a large complex educational environment a plus.
• Experience with centralized automated configuration management and provisioning solutions for Linux systems such as RedHat Satellite, Puppet or Ansible.
• Experience working in a team-based environment and a proven history of implementing cross-departmental initiatives.
• Experience with system monitoring solutions such as Nagios and Solarwinds.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
• Typical Office Environment Activity
• Understands responsibilities with respect to conflicts of interest and behaves in ways consistent both with law and with University policy.
• Contributes toward creating a positive and respectful workplace defined by personal and professional competence, integrity, and collaboration.
• Understands and contributes to implementation of departmental and institutional goals for achieving non-discrimination and creating a respectful, inclusive environment that is supportive of diversity.
• Uses access to sensitive and/or not yet public university related information only in the performance of the responsibilities of position and exercises care to prevent unnecessary disclosure to others.
• Good communication and people skills, participation in on-call rotation, strong analytical skills, organized, responsive, and thorough.
Monday – Friday 9:00am – 5:00pm.
Regular days off: Saturday/Sunday
Required to work some nights and some weekends
PSU Level 28
Special Instructions to Applicants
Submit a resume, cover letter and contact information for three (3) professional references by June 31st, 2019 in order to ensure consideration; however, applications will be accepted until the position has been filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.